The One by Kiera Cass

Thursday, June 11, 2015

The One by Kiera Cass
Publisher: HarperTeen
Publication Date: May 6th, 2014
Pages: 323
Song I Played While Reading: Jealous by Nick Jonas
Rating: 4 stars

The time has come for one winner to be crowned.

When she was chosen to compete in the Selection, America never dreamed she would find herself anywhere close to the crown- or to Prince Maxon's heart. But as the end of the competition approaches, and the threats outside the palace walls grow more vicious, America realizes just how much she stands to lose- and how hard she'll have to fight for the future she wants. 

The only thing I was expecting from this book was a happy ending. I was wary of America, hoping she would grow and mature, but not betting too much on it. So imagine my surprise when, overall, I really enjoyed this book. There were the usual ups and downs, but this story progressed with much more ease; America really hunkered down and tried to work on her temper. She tried, and failed, but I still applauded her effort. There were some surprises thrown in here, with lots of enjoyable moments, but by far the best part of this book was the ending. Talk about an ending that explodes in your face! If you've gotten through the first two books and like America and the story, then you'll absolutely love this. If you struggled with America, as did I, push through. The first 70 pages will be a struggle, but it's so worth it in the end.

Spoiler-y Section

I have to admit; I almost threw this book at a wall. It started off good, with America trying too hard to seduce Maxon (which I thought was hilarious but still really enjoyed because hey, at least she was trying) and I was excited. All her focus was going to be on winning Maxon over again and I had high hopes. But then it all came crashing down. And down. And down. It was almost worse then The Elite because... there was literally NO reason for them to be fighting. I was actually confused on what they were even arguing about. And, once again, they didn't speak. Even though they both knew they had feelings for each other, they refused to say I love you. They were like two stubborn siblings, refusing to give until they other one submitted first. They danced around those words for almost the entire book, EVEN THOUGH THEY BLATANTLY HAD FEELINGS FOR EACH OTHER AND BASICALLY SAID IT ALREADY, and I thought I was going to scream. The only reason why I didn't was because they stopped fighting. They talked some things out finally and were doing pretty good.
But of course shit had to hit the fan. It was too early in the story for Maxon to tell America he was going to propose to her. There was always something with these two, and it obviously had to be Aspen. But I didnt think Maxon would take it so hard. He's always so calm and collected and actually thinks his actions through, so wasn't it the mother of all surprises when he turned into this father. I mean he was cruel. It was shocking!
I'm not going to blather on about America and her stupidity because its the same shit from The Elite, so lets talk about the things I actually enjoyed. Celeste.
Yes, I just said that.
Bitch ass Celeste actually became one of my favorite characters in this book. I liked her waaaaay more then Marlee. She's my favorite type of character; gorgeous, sassy, smart, and driven. Theres a fine line between being self-centered and parading around like you're the shit, to knowing your pretty but not talking about it, and she moved all the way down that line for me. She wasn't that egoistical brat who wanted the crown; she became that kick-ass friend that always had your back and would murder any person that broke your heart. So to say I was heartbroken WHEN SHE WAS SHOT IN THE HEAD IS A SLIGHT UNDERSTATEMENT.
Actually I was heartbroken over the whole ending in general. I was wondering if Cass would go out with a bang since no one really had died yet from a rebel attack, and boy was I right. Celeste, Anne, The King and Queen... I don't even remember who else but those are the ones that stood out the most to me. I especially mourned over the Queen. She threw herself in front of the King and I'm still getting goosebumps over it. She was amazing and I'm seriously so sad that she had to go, but I think it almost would have been worse for her to live her life without Clarkson. She loved him so much (though I really don't understand why). And even though I knew Maxon lived, I started tearing up when he was shot. That whole scene with him telling America how stupid he was and then telling Aspen to take her away first got to me. The tears were real. But you wanna know what made me cry the hardest? Aspen walking America down the aisle. I LOVED them as friends. I have no idea why, but they were just so awesome together, so when he appeared... holy shit I had to close my door cause I was straight up sobbing. I LOVE ME SOME BEAUTIFUL FRIENDSHIPS, I REALLY DO.
Overall, this was an acceptable end for America and Maxon. It was rough at times, but they both stayed true to themselves and strung it out as long as possible.
I also read the sneak peak for The Heir that was in the back of the book andddddddd I ordered it on Amazon right away. NO ONE TOLD ME SHE WAS A BOSSY AND SARCASTIC FEMINIST. From what I saw and read, yes she was a little spoiled but who wouldn't when they grew up as royalty? I also wanna see how America and Maxon are, and the next political issue they'll have to deal with. The castes are out, so lets what they people have to complain about now!

Quotes
"Celeste had been raised to be a specific kind of pretty. That beauty depended on covering things up, shifting the light, and seeking to be perfect at all times. But there is a different kind of beauty that comes with humility and honesty, and she was glowing with it now." *cries*

""Break my heart. Break it a thousand times if you like. It was only ever yours to break anyway."

"You are not the world, but you are everything that makes the world good. Without you, my life would still exist, but that's all it would manage to do."

"Celeste walked up, as strong as I'd ever seen her, and whispered something into Maxon's ear.
When she was done, he smiled "I don't think that will be necessary."
"Good." She left, closing the door behind her, and I stood to take whatever was coming.
"What was that about?" I asked, nodding toward the door."
"Oh, Celeste was making it clear that if I hurt you, she'd make me cry," he said with a smile.
I laughed. "I've been on the receiving end of those nails, so be careful there."
"Yes ma'am."

"And there we were, in the background of it all, holding on to one another. The Perfectionist, the Sweetheart, the Diva . . . and me."

No comments:

Post a Comment