The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen

Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Invasion of the Tearling by Erika Johansen
Publisher: HarperCollins
Publication Date: June 9th, 2015
Pages: 511
Song I Played While Reading: Never Sleep Alone by Kaskade
Rating: 4 stars

With each passing day, Kelsea Glynn is growing into her new responsibilities as Queen of the Tearling. By stopping the shipment of slaves to the neighboring kingdom of Mortmesne, Kelsea gas crossed the brutal Red Queen, who derives her power from dark magic and who is sending her fearsome army into the Tearling to take what she claims is hers. And nothing can stop the invasion. 
But as the Mort army draws ever closer, Kelsea develops a mysterious connection to a time before the Crossing. She finds herself relying on a strange and possible dangerous ally: a woman named Lily, fighting for her life in a world where being female can feel like a crime. Soon Kelsea herself begins to change: she does not recognize either her reflection in the mirror or the extraordinary power she now commands. The fate of the Tearling- and that of Kelsea's own soul- may rest with Lily and her story, but Queen Kelsea is running out of time. 

I remember when I first read the synopsis, I was a little disappointed. I didn't want a new narrator; I wanted it all to be about Kelsea and the people around her. But as I thought more and more about it, I realized that Lily was pre-Crossing, so we would be seeing what happened to America. And then I got really excited and jumped head-first into this story and oh god, was it phenomenal.
I need to talk about Johansen's writing. I 100% CANT DEAL WITH HOW AMAZING IT IS. She could write a whole book about a sack of potatoes and I would be completely enthralled. It's absolutely stunning and Johansen is now one of my all time favorite writers.
The direction of the story was unexpected, but still exciting. The plot was fast paced and complex, with an ending you never see coming. You're on your toes the entire time, wondering, "What's going to happen next? How is Kelsea going to stop the Red Queen?"
I ended up really liking Lily for many reasons. One, because she was pre-Crossing and it was super interesting to see how corrupt America had gotten. One of the only issues I had with The Queen of the Tearling was the fact that we got no history on the time before. I love history, especially in books because I think it's vital to the story and really adds depth to it. Without it, it seems a little flat. So I gobbled up futuristic America, loving every minute of it.
Secondly, Lily was a memorable character cause of the situation she was in. It was so different from Kelsea's, and so real, that she really stood out. I couldn't tell who's pov I enjoyed more! But one thing I was a little confused on, and still am, is the connection between them. I get the overall idea of it (I think), and am 90% sure I understand how it was used against the Red Queen in the end. And why Kelsea's appearance changed. But I could be completely wrong.
We finally get some romance in here, and I could not be more happier on who its with!! Well, its kind of a romance. Not a full blow one, but its starting, and I have a feeling it'll come full circle in the next book. If it doesn't I'll cry. And I swear if any of her Guard die, I'll throw a fit. I love all of them with a fiery passion, especially Lazarus and Pen. I have a soft spot for fiercely loyal hotties who are willing to die for anyone they love, and IT'S JUST SO SWEET I COULD CRY. Actually, I am crying cause THE ENDING *sobs uncontrollably*
There's so many loose ends that Johansen has to wrap up in the next, and final, book. I VOTE FOR 3 MORE BOOKS. MAYBE 5. HOW BOUT 10. PLEEEEEEEASE. Kelsea is going to kick so much ass in the next book, and I can't wait to see how it all ends. I've come to admire her so much, and now thats she's fully embraced her powers there's literally nothing stopping her from being the fiercest Queen in Tear history. YOU KEEP DOIN' YOU, GIRL.

Quotes
"When it fails, they do call it madness, Lazarus. But when it succeeds, they call it genius."

""Pen?"
"Lady?"

“You think I’m pretty.”
He blinked in surprise. "I always found you so, Lady. But it’s true that your face has changed."
"You always found me pretty?"

Pen shrugged. "It doesn’t matter, Lady. Some women are defined by their appearance, but you have never been one of them."

No comments:

Post a Comment