November 9 by Colleen Hoover

Sunday, November 15, 2015

November 9 by Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria Books
Publication Date: November 10th, 2015
Pages: 307
Song I Played While Reading: Cecilia and the Satellite by Andrew McMahon in the Wilderness
Rating: 4 stars

Fallon mets Ben, as aspiring novelist, the day of her scheduled cross-country move. Their untimely attraction leads them to spend Fallon's last day in L.A. together, and her eventful life becomes the creative inspiration Ben has always sought for his novel. Over time and amidst the various relationship and tribulations of their own separate lives, they continue to meet on the same date every year. Until one day Fallon becomes unsure if Ben has been telling her the truth or fabricating a perfect reality for the sake of the ultimate plot twist. 

Oh, Benton James Kessler. Where art thou Benton James Kessler, BECAUSE I WANT YOU. NOW.
Colleen Hoover manages to surprise me with every one of her damn novels. Every. Single. One. You don't think she can write something as fantastic as her last one, yet she does. It's scary. How she manages to portray every emotion perfectly... I DONT UNDERSTAND.
This book is her most light-hearted one yet (if you can even call any of her books light-hearted) because Ben and Fallon were a riot together. They had an insane connection, and I can't even tell you the amount of times I had to put down the book so my heart would stop racing. Not only were they hilarious, but they were so swoon-worthy. Them together brought me nothing but pure happiness, and I was so happy to see that this book revolved only around November 9th. Sure, we see a little part of their lives as we progress, but this centers mostly on this one day over six years. Everything was perfect, from the pacing, to the plot line, and to the characters (especially TWO CERTAIN CHARACTERS THAT SHOWED UP AT BENS HOUSE AND GAVE ME A LEGIT HEART ATTACK, I CANT BELIEVE COHO DID THAT TO US).
But then, once we hit our fifth November 9th, I started getting bored with the story and a little annoyed at the repetition. I almost skipped through Ben's entire story simply because I was itching to see them get together. It was in no way a bad ending, so I only docked a star. Certain parts bothered me, while others didn't.
The one thing I love so incredibly much about CoHo's books is the depth. Her stories are fantastic, but we get so much more than what we read in the summary. There's usually at least one or two major issues that Hoover tackles beautifully, and this book was no different. I love the variety and how they each add such a breath of fresh air to the story.
Overall, fantastic, fantastic story, but the ending was just a little too repetitive for me. If I had to rate this on my CoHo scale, it would be third. So Hopeless, Maybe Someday, November 9, and Ugly Love. Never Never is up next and I can't wait to start it!

Quotes
"I turn around and face my closet again so he doesn't see the flushed look on my face.
He laughs quietly. "You were just thinking dirty thoughts."
"Was not," I quip.
"Fallon, we've been dating for two hours now. I can read you like a book, and right now I do believe that book is full of erotica."

"You'll never be able to find yourself if you're lost in someone else."

""Sigh."
"Did you just say sigh? Out loud? Instead of actually sighing?
"Eye roll.” 


""Fucking beautiful," I whisper.
She smiles and then ducks her head. “I feel stupid.”
"I barely know you, so I’m not about to argue with you over your level of intelligence, because you could very well be as dumb as a rock. But at least you’re pretty."


"You can’t leave yet. I’m not finished falling in love with you."

No comments:

Post a Comment