Cress by Marisa Meyer

Sunday, November 22, 2015

Cress by Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Square Fish
Publication Date: February 4th, 2014
Pages: 550
Song I Played While Reading: New Americana by Halsey
Rating: 4.5 stars

Cress, having risked everything to warn Cinder of Queen Leveana's evil plan, has a slight problem. She's been imprisoned on a satellite since childhood and has only ever had her netscreens as company. Al that screen time has made Cress and excellent hacker. Unfortunately, she's just received orders from Levana to track down Cinder and her handsome accomplice. 
When a daring rescue of Cress involving Cinder, Captain Thorne, Scarlet, and Wolf goes awry, the group is separated. Cress finally has her freedom, but comes at a high price. Meanwhile, Queen Levana will let nothing prevent her marriage to Emperor Kai. Cress, Scarlet, and Cinder may not have signed up to save the world, but they may be the only hope the world has. 

UGH MARISSA MEYER WHAT ARE YOU DOING TO MY FEELINGS??
This book was epic. I can't even form a coherent thought as to why. I just want to throw the book at whoever doesn't understand and say "READ IT. THEN YOU'LL GET IT." It's that kind of book.
But I'm gonna try and discuss it like a rational bookworm I am (ha. ha. HA, YEAH RIGHT)
Cinder kicked ass in this book and I'm so damn proud of her. She was my least favorite of all of out characters, simply because she bored me. Not enough where I disliked her, but just enough where I thought "Meh. Everyone else is outshining you, DO SOMETHING COOL." And oh boy did she do something cool. Hell, she did something fantastically awesome! For the people who've read Cress, by the end of this book she's unstoppable. I loved it. Nothing could stand in her way. SCREW YOU, SYBIL, YOU DESERVED ALL YOU GOT.
Scarlet and Wolf, my sweet babies. Not only did I get separation anxiety when everyone was suddenly thrown all over the universe, but my poor Wolf. My heart broke for him and his alpha female. I gasped so loudly when it happened, and I cursed the world and cursed Meyer and cursed Cinder. Scarlet is still my fiery queen, and I cannot wait to see how her and Winter play out in the next book.
Thorne and Cress can be described in two simple words: outrageously adorable. I mean, it's almost ridiculous how cute Cress is and how sweet Thorne is to her. Literally RIDICULOUS. It's the polar opposite of Wolf and Scarlet and Cinder and Kai, and I think that's why these relationships are so consuming. You get so many different aspects to a relationship with these three couples, and I love how Meyer plays them out. Poor Iko, I hope she finds someone!
Meyer's writing in this was flawless. I loved seeing the writing progress because it's incredible how far she's come in two books. Her action scenes were top notch this time, and they were my favorite parts of the book! The only reason why I docked half a star was because I got a little bored at some parts, especially during Thorne and Cress's stay with the caravan and in Kufra. But overall, this was fanfuckingtastic and I plan on jumping into Winter the second I finish this review. The crew is almost complete and I can't wait to see what shenanigans they get themselves into on Luna!

Quotes
"She crossed her arms. "He might"
He raised an eyebrow at her, and she sulked in her chair.
"Fine," Cinder said. "What do you suggest? You clearly know all about this political revolution stuff, so please enlighten me, O wrinkled one."
Dr. Erlend grabbed his hat off a small writing desk and pulled it onto his head. "You can begin by learning some manners, or no one will ever believe you could be royalty."
"Right. I'm sure that poor etiquette is the number one reason for most failed revolutions.
"Are you quite finished?"
"Not hardly.""

""Really? You don't hate me for... shooting you?"
His lips twitched and he glanced down. Taking her cyborg hand into both of his, he lifted it between them, eyeing the metal fingers. "I don't remember that medical diagram saying anything about a gun. My security team probably would have found that to be useful information."
"I like to maintain an air of mystery."
"I've noticed."

No comments:

Post a Comment