Top Ten Books I Want To Revisit

Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Hi guys! On this fine Tuesday we will be talking about books from our childhood/teen years (for me I'm making it preteen years) that we wish we could revisit and read for the first time. This meme is hosted by the lovely ladies at The Broke and the Bookish.




My preteen years were so wrapped up in these books that my mom calls it my Twilight phase. I was 150% OBSESSED with these books. I lived, breathed, ate, and slept twilight. For a while I was super embarrassed over this period in my life and now I look back on it fondly (that makes me sound so old). I've read these books so many times that I can't even remember when I first started reading them, but I would love to be able to feel all that I did that first time.

My other biggest book obsession, Vampire Academy. I actually found a picture on my computer of when I first started reading VA, Christimas of 2008. My mom got me the first three books for Christmas and I've thanked her a billion times since then for introducing me to the VA world. Rose Hathaway is my number one girl and always will be. I can't even imagine what it must have been like to read these books for the fist time.  I hope I gave them justice and flipped the shit out like I would do now.

(THE SLIPPERS. THE IPOD. THE FLANNEL PANTS. Nothing has changed, I kid you not. I'm typing this from the same house too!)

The first books (that I can remember) that got me into reading. I'd never had any hobbies and absolutely hated reading. I remember in Kindergarten when we would have to read a book to the teacher I would pick the book with the least amount of words, which usually consisted of each page depicting an animal and the name of it written at the bottom of the page. I was a clever little brat, wasn't I? Anyways, we had to do Book Reports in fifth grade and I had already read Holes and enjoyed it, so me and my friend decided to read Small Steps and raced to see who could finish first. I finished it 2 days before her and remember thinking "Holy shit. I'm good at this. I finished it a whole 2 days before her!" I rubbed it in her face and she got super pissed but I didn't care. I was hooked (also I definitely didn't think "holy shit" to myself at that age, so maybe it was like "holy cow" or something. But you get my point). 

A Time for Dancing by Davida Wills Hurwin
I don't remember exactly when I read this, probably in middle school, but all I know is that this broke me. I ran into my moms room bawling my eyes out, crying about how unfair life is, and I think this is when she realized how insane I could get over books. This is one of those inconsequential books that you read, expecting to fly through it, and instead it makes such a huge impact on you that you always remember it.






If I Have A Wicked Stepmother, Where's My Prince? by Melissa Kantor
One of the first books I bought from Borders once I moved on from devouring the entire YA section at the library. It still has the sticker on the back and I absolutely adore the cover, though I remember little from the story. It was a light read but will always hold a place on my bookcase as the start of my book buying craze. 







Inside Girl by J. Minter
The best way I can describe these books is that that they are a more tamed and nicer version of Gossip Girl. Theres 8 books in total and I actually haven't read them all, but I was completely hooked by Flans glamorous life. I remember wishing I could live in New York and strut around the streets in Marc Jacobs and kiss pretty boys and go to amazing parties.


Naturally I read Gossip Girl next and boy was I obsessed. On my christmas wish list that year I asked for everything Serena Van Der Woodson and Blair Waldorf had, and to say that my mom was simultaneously amused and annoyed is an understatement. Luckily I moved on from that expensive phase and got a reality check. But reliving that first read-through would be quite amusing.

Summer Boys by Hailey Abbott
I shared these books with my cousin and we were both completely swept up in the stories. What girl doesn't love a cliche summer romance? Plus these covers are amazing.




The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet
I think you guys are going to be a little surprised at this next book... My cousin was reading this on our family vacation in San Diego when I was maybe 11? 12? Anyways I picked it up, curious to see what it was about, and started reading it. It was so different from what I usually read that I was completely enamored and went out and bought it and gobbled it up. Needless to say my parents were alarmed and in awe (and so were most of my school teachers when they saw me hauling this huge ass book around) when I finished this. Maybe I was trying to prove something? Who knows. I loved it though and am dying to reread it, especially now that I'm not, you know, 12. 



The Mediator series by Meg Cabot
I absolutely loved these books and Meg Cabot. In 6th grade I went through a huge Meg Cabot phase and still hold a spot in my heart for all those books. My other favorites from her are the All-American Girl duology and Avalon High. The latter is the first book where I ever swooned over a guy, so that DEFINITELY holds a spot in heart. Specifically, the love triangle in it *drools*  











What're some of your childhood/teen year favorites? 

2 comments:

  1. I remember the Twilight days...
    *momentary flashback*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so obsessed that I dressed like Bella and was glad, at least during that time, that I was so plain looking. I was hoping some sparkly hunk would come sweep me off my feet if I played the part hahaha

      Delete