Crown of Midnight by Sarah J. Maas

Saturday, January 31, 2015

Song I Played While Reading- Left Behinds by Hardwell
Rating- 5 Trillion Stars

Synopsis-
"A line that should never be crossed is about to be breached.
It puts this entire castle in jeopardy—and the life of your friend."


From the throne of glass rules a king with a fist of iron and a soul as black as pitch. Assassin Celaena Sardothien won a brutal contest to become his Champion. Yet Celaena is far from loyal to the crown. She hides her secret vigilantly; she knows that the man she serves is bent on evil.

Keeping up the deadly charade becomes increasingly difficult when Celaena realizes she is not the only one seeking justice. As she tries to untangle the mysteries buried deep within the glass castle, her closest relationships suffer. It seems no one is above questioning her allegiances—not the Crown Prince Dorian; not Chaol, the Captain of the Guard; not even her best friend, Nehemia, a foreign princess with a rebel heart.

Then one terrible night, the secrets they have all been keeping lead to an unspeakable tragedy. As Celaena's world shatters, she will be forced to give up the very thing most precious to her and decide once and for all where her true loyalties lie...and whom she is ultimately willing to fight for.


How do I even BEGIN to describe this book? I honestly have no words. That ending blew me away. This is the second installment in Sarah J. Maas's Throne of Glass series, and let me tell you something; this book is a motherfucking roller coaster. You don't even have time to breathe from the situation Celanea gets herself out of, before she's diving headlong into another one. Theres mystery, intrigue, crazy heists, swoon worthy boys, and this EARTH SHATTERING SITUATION THAT CHANGES EVERYTHING AND IT'S ONLY THE SECOND BOOK AND YOU REALIZE... THERES 4 MORE OF THESE BOOKS, HOW ARE YOU GOING TO LIVE THROUGH THIS?! If you haven't yet read this ... What're you doing with your life?
________________________________________

Oh my god. Just..
Oh.
My.
GOD.
HOW DOES ONE COME UP WITH THIS SHIT?! I wanna live inside Maas's head.
We knew Celanea was fae. Enough so that, whenever someone mentioned the Fae people or made fun of them, she snapped at them. And she mentioned how her powers disappeared too, so we knew she was hiding something. There were soo many little hints here and there while reading this, and my slow ass brain wasn't putting it together. It only started rolling when Chaol was looking into Celaenas past, and from there I had some freaky shit going on. I thought she was Aelin Galathynius's sister. I DIDNT THINK SHE HERSELF WAS AELIN GALATHYNIUS. It was so slow to hit me. I only realized when Chaol read that part in the chronicle of Aelin being thought to have drowned in the river. And then it hit me and I just started bawling my eyes out and screamed for my mom and she came tearing into my room, equally freaked out, and then shook her head when she realized what my issue was.
IT WAS SO GOOD. I NEVER IN A MILLION YEARS SAW THIS COMING.
Though I was slow with that, I managed to keep up with everything else in the book, besides Archer, which I didn't see coming either. He was a little shit and I'm glad he died (though him and Celaena at dinner had me drooling a little, that naughty boy).
Of course Nehemia was the martyr. How else would Celanea stand up against the King? What I still don't understand is why her death had to be so gruesome. Couldn't she just have her throat slit? The extra gore was almost cruel. Though it did lead to that wicked scene with Celaena attacking Chaol. I ship them but DAYUM SHE WAS BADASS. From her mowing down men left and right at the warehouse to slaughtering Grave, I kept bouncing up and down in my bed. YOU GO GIRL. I FULLY APPROVE, KEEP MAKING MAMA PROUD.
I wonder how the wyrdkeys, wyrdgates, the obsidian rings the King, Perrington, and Roland all wear, and the clock come in to play. We know the rings have some mind control abilities, which caused headaches in both Kaltain and Roland (did Kaltain wear a ring? I can't remember). But either way, its odd that Roland would get headaches since he was being complacent. He was siding with Dorian at every meeting. Which maybe the King planned, because he knew Dorian would trust him and maybe open up about his powers? The King must know about that. He just doesn't know when they'll manifest. But then he must have grew tired of waiting and sent Roland with Perrington.
I felt sick reading from the POV of the malformed human/beast thing, because clearly the King is trying to create his own indestructible army. I can't decided if I think he was the only one that was created, or the only one that survived the transformation. Either way, I'm glad he was put out of his misery.
Dorian is awesome. Though I'll go down with Chaolaena, I'm still SO glad him and Celaena worked it out and are friends. He was there for her at a time when no one else could, and that helped strengthen her resolve on defeating his father when she saw the goodness in him. I hope him and Celaena blast the King into hell in the end. ALTHOUGH,  I wavered on Chaol when he ran into the portal to save Fleetfoot. I understand what its like to loose an animal, BUT SERIOUSLY YOU JUST RAN INTO AN UNKNOWN PORTAL FOR A FUCKING DOG. LIKE REALLY, DO YOU NOT VALUE YOUR LIFE AT ALL? DO YOU KNOW WHAT YOUR DEATH WOULD HAVE DONE TO ME? Good thing he's so damn cute and sweet or else it would have been Dorlaena (Celorian?).

Quotes
- "Roland gave her a courtier's smile. "And what sort of work do you do for my uncle?"
Dorian shifed on his feet and Chaol went very still, but Celaena returned Roalnd's smile and said, "I bury the kings opponents where nobody will ever find them." (pg. 28)

- "Chaol positively hated Roland, and whenever he came up in conversation, it was usually accompanied by phrases like "conniving wretch" and "sniveling, spoiled ass." At least, thats what Chaol had been roaring three years ago, after the captain had punched Roland so hard in the face that the youth had blacked out." (pg. 29) HOT

- "The kiss obliterated her.
It was like coming home or being born or suddenly finding an entire half of herself that had been missing." (pg. 188)

- "He reached into his pocket and fished out the four gold coins he'd brought. "I hope this will buy me all the questions I want- and your discretion.
She chucked the clean half of the leg onto the pile and set to work on the other, sucking and gnawing. "I bet you wipe your ass with gold."
"I don't think that would be very comfortable." (pg. 193)

- "After a moment, his father looked up from the list and surveyed her. "Well done, Champion. Well done indeed."
Then Celaena and the King of Adarlan smiled at each other, and it was the most terrifying thing Dorian had ever seen." (pg. 267)


(Image and synopsis from Goodreads)

No comments:

Post a Comment