Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Cinder by Marissa Meyer
Publisher: Square Fish
Publication Date: January 3rd, 2012
Pages: 387
Song I Played While Reading: New Americana by Halsey
Rating: 4 stars

   Even in the future, the story begins with Once Upon a Time...
   Humans and androids crowd the races streets of New Beijing. A deadly plagues ravages the population. From space, a ruthless Lunar people watch, waiting to make their move. No one knows that Earth's fate hinges on one girl...
   Sixteen-year-old Cinder, a gifted mechanic, is a cyborg. She's a second-class citizen with a mysterious past and is reviled by her stepmother. But when her life because intertwined with the handsome Prince Kai's, she suddenly finds herself in the center of an intergalactic struggle, and a forbidden attraction. Caught between duty and freedom, loyalty and betrayal, she must uncover secrets about her past in order to protect her worlds future. Because there is something unusual about Cinder, something that other's would kill for.

I've finally done it. I'VE READ CINDER. You know that hyped series that everyone seems to have read except for you, the one that's been on your TBR pile for months and months AND MONTHS? This was The Lunar Chronicles for me. And god damn it, I've finally done it. It's incredibly satisfying.
This was such a fun ride! Everything about this story, from the characters, the plot, the world, and writing, was fantastic. I don't really know what I was expecting, but the direction this story went, with the lunar people and Kai and the person he was trying to find, was just not what I was thinking would happen.
Anywho, I really enjoyed the batch of characters we got. Cinder was super cool, someone I would definitely want on my side, not only because she's a mechanic (I'm absolutely hopeless with that sort of stuff) but she was caring, selfless, and able to kick some major booty. Kai was a sweetheart and I loved their scenes together, though I cringed a little at his, and everyone else's, reaction to cyborgs. I don't understand why they found it so repulsing, or even odd to begin with. It's not like these people asked to be in car accidents or to have been hurt in some way. Just because they had a metal limb didn't make them any different, or less human. It was an odd prejudice.
My favorite character honestly had to be Dr. Erland. I don't know why but I just thought he was the sweetest old man, and as we got to learn more and more about him my heart was threatening to split in half. And just knowing he's short makes me want to crush him to my chest and make sure nothing happens to him. STAY AWAY FROM HIM, MEYER.
Levana was absolutely insane, and I really wanna order Fairest. You get evil people who kill millions, but this psycho had half her family killed, or mauled in some way, so that she'd stay on the throne and be the best looking one on it. And her veil? *shudders* I understand the cover now.
The ending, hollllllyyyy GUAC was it intense. It was, again, unexpected, and my heart was pounding from the tension. I honestly didn't know what to expect, and that's the best feeling when reading something. Though I was able to guess the twist from page one, which was why I docked a star.
Overall, I really enjoyed this book! The world is fantastic and I can't wait to see how Meyer continues on with this story.

Quotes
"He pointed to the holographs pelvis. "Your reproductive system is almost untouched. You know, lots of female cyborg are left infertile because of the invasive producers, but from the looks of it, I don't suspect you will have any problems."
Cinder sat on one of the exam tables, chin settled atop both palms. "Lucky me."
The doctor wagged a finger at her. "You should be grateful both surgeons took such care."
"I'm sure I'll feel much more grateful when I find a guy who thinks complex wiring in a girl is a turn-on."

""I don't know. I don't actually remember anything from before the surgery."
His eyebrows rose, his blue eyes sucking in all the light of the room. "The cybernetic operation?"
"No, the sex change."
The doctor's smile faltered.
"I'm joking."

2 comments:

  1. Great Review ! Actually keen on reading it :) So happy I just stumbled on your blog

    ReplyDelete